Current project tool and Select Link tool are integral part of Copy/Monitor tool which are generally used for copying and monitoring element of architectural, structural and MEP models in Revit. These tools are used during interdisciplinary coordination when enormous design information is shared between different design teams for clearing design related doubts.
During coordination architects, structural engineers and MEP engineers make best use of each other’s design information for bringing accuracy in their own models. That is why they prefer to link models for obtaining detailed information about design of other building trades. By effectively using Current Project tool and Select Link tool they can monitor the design and share the information about changes made in it.
Difference between Current Project tool and select Link tool
- First of all Current project tool can be accessed by Revit users by going to Collaborate tab then to Coordinate panel and finally to Copy/Monitor tool.
- Once Copy/Monitor tool which is located on Coordinate panel is clicked by users, a drop down menu comes in front of them wherein both Current project tool and Select link tool are available.
- Both these tools are used for copying and monitoring elements of different models one is be used for copying and monitoring the elements of a host model whereas other is used for copying and monitoring elements of a linked project.
- When it comes to dealing with the elements of the host project, Current project tool is used by Revit users.
- That means for copying and monitoring elements that belong to host project Current project tool is used.
- On the other hand when it comes to dealing with the elements of a linked project Select Link tool is used by Revit users.
- That means for copying and monitoring the elements belonging to linked model, Revit users have to make use of Select Link tool which can be obtained from the drop down menu after approaching Copy/Monitor tool.
- Revit users cannot copy and monitor the elements of a host model by using Select Link tool.
With the help of above description it becomes clear that both Current Project tool and Select Link tool are important when it comes to successfully monitoring the design during design coordination.