Structural frameworks can be developed with various kinds of materials and in fact the selection of materials largely depends on the geographical location of the project. In olden days, materials used in the development of structural framework largely depended on their availability in a particular country or reason.
On the other hand geographical conditions also played (and are still playing) a very crucial part in the selection of materials for the development of structural framework for the building.
Selection of right material can enhance the durability of the structure
- Selection of materials differs (and depends) from project to project, for example sometimes numerous different kinds of materials can be used by design and construction professionals for accomplishing a construction project.
- Materials like structural steel (of different specifications), concrete and ceramics etc., are used by AEC professionals for the development of structural framework for different kinds of residential and commercial buildings.
- But structural steel is considered as one of the most stress bearing (load resisting) material and hence it is used widely by AEC professionals for developing strong structures.
- Steel is made up of iron and carbon which makes it highly strong and that remains the primary reason behind its exceptional use in building construction.
- Structural steel has tremendous tensile strengths, which means it can resist huge stress.
- Another important reason behind the tremendous use of structural steel in construction remains its low cost.
- Again the cost of the raw materials used in building projects depends upon geographical area and the accessibility of the material.
Last but not least, when it comes to developing extremely durable buildings, structural steel comes in the first place because of its ductile properties and stiffness.