Building plan constitutes of two-dimensional drawings that incorporate specification of components that are getting constructed. These records have an added benefit of getting it printed and carried along on the site of construction of any ongoing project. However, one may face some technical constraints while representing three-dimensional frameworks with two-dimensional models.
Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) frameworks are extremely complicated. The installations in the buildings establishments often share small spaces because of which representing 2D drawings can be a significant test in the construction projects. In office spaces, MEP installations typically utilize the little space between dropped roofs and solid slabs.
When MEP engineers draw a lot of installations on the same floor such plan as electrical channel, air pipes, plumbing lines, communication trays and sprinkler frameworks it becomes clustered and complicated to understand. Thus, the ordinary practice was to draft a different drawing for each building framework. But the most recent design software permits three-dimensional modeling, which improves the MEP configuration process extraordinarily.
Coordination among all Architectural, Structural and MEP disciplines is a mandate in the construction industry. BIM Coordination Services is being widely used to develop coordinated models. One cannot be biased towards any discipline and have to ensure that there is coordination between all the disciplines by detecting clashes if any.
When designers start another construction project, a typical practice is enlisting separate building organizations to structure mechanical, electrical and plumbing installations. This methodology makes an administration challenge since the engineer must facilitate coordination between isolated organizations, guaranteeing that all structure frameworks interact properly.
An easier and more astute methodology is working with a MEP designing firm, which has numerous areas of expertise. Along these lines, engineers can designate the technical part of a structure, along with additionally managing the team. Building systems can’t be planned in isolation since they share physical spaces and they have components that interact directly – for example, numerous kinds of HVAC BIM Services hardware are controlled by power.
When building systems are worked upon in isolation, the design process takes longer and it also becomes costly. The errors are likely to increase and there may be compatibility issues along with equipment locations conflicts. This issue can be resolved by working in association with a MEP Engineering firm that delivers collaborative and coordinated designs.
Challenges faced because of incorrect coordination:
- Planned budget invades due to revamps and material waste.
- Absence of plan information accessibility to all construction partners at the perfect time.
- Lack of leadership and decision making at critical stage gives ascent to undesirable clashes resulting in pushing deadlines.
- Superfluous interdisciplinary structure and workflow clashes.
- Everyone has to work in coordination which each other. For example, if the MEP designer doesn’t have a clue about how the structural arrangement is going to be he wouldn’t be able to plan an area for HVAC and spaces for the elevators and vice versa. When structural engineer is unfamiliar with the architectural plan for any building, he wouldn’t be able to erect a column.
- Tall structures made of glass need great plans in addition to proper burden estimations and basic trustworthiness to withstand the loads.
- Code compliance is the biggest challenge while working on the building system even though it accomplishes its intended function. For example, there may be some codes which specify additional safety measures or level of energy efficiency.
- For project approval, a code-compliant design is required along with the construction plans and specifications that must follow a specific format. Documentation of projects is vital for project approvals.
- When components from different frameworks are showing overlapping locations, the software detects the errors automatically and thus it advises the planners. If you have different set of people working on isolated 2D models, detecting location clashes become more difficult to identify.
Solution to resolve the above challenges
- Firstly, one should be making detailed and thorough 3D BIM model with LOD 500 with available as-built data and configurations.
- All the partners working on a single model can make changes and keep a track of any updates that are made since BIM platform encourages Common Data Environment.
- BIM Clash Detection Services aids in detecting structure and workflow conflicts by creating coordinated model before the start of any construction buildings.
- BIM likewise gives chances to use offsite construction by effectively managing logistics.
- To assemble the structure of proper quality and to serve its expected needs, the experts from all these three controls like Architectural, Structural and MEP need to understand each other’s requirements and project requirements and details. The coordination and intelligence among these disciplines will diminish a great deal of superfluous man-material traffic.
- Building frameworks are put away in various “layers” of the model. When working on a particular model, different layers can be made invisible to work on the one layer smoothly.
- when working with a particular framework, different layers can be deactivated to make them invisible.
- Keeping the building model updated time to time helps the maintenance staff to know the last recorded condition of any MEP element without a direct inspection. This allows precise instructions for technicians which saves their time and helps in scheduling maintenance activities more effectively.
Without BIM, accomplishing coordination among buildings in architectural, structural and MEP discipline is almost inconceivable as it won’t give desired outcomes. Thus using BIM in construction industry has become a need rather than an advantage. Projects may begin on schedule however completion will be exceptionally questionable in light of the obstacles experienced on site.
Achievement of project development is guaranteed when engineers, planners, contractual workers and every one of the partners are in a joint effort with one another. Subsequently, construction firms depend on advanced BIM models to accomplish more interdisciplinary joint effort for proficient choices.