I have written a number of blogs on point cloud modeling but have never clearly described the indexing process, wherein raw scanned data is transformed into feasible file formats, which can be leveraged by AEC professionals for developing exceptional models. The correct technical term for laser scanned information is ‘point cloud data’ which is captured by laser beams when they are directed towards a specific direction of a building.
So before I describe indexing process one thing is clear that raw scanned data cannot be linked in Revit until and unless it is converted into right file formats.
Process of indexing raw scanned data in Revit
- For indexing raw scanned data users are required to use Autodesk ReCap, which helps them in converting scanned data into feasible file formats that can be read by Autodesk software products like Revit.
- When the indexing process starts in Autodesk ReCap users are required to adjust point clouds by fine tuning the settings. Adjustments can also be made to point clouds by changing their distance from camera.
- Since, Revit incorporates the automatic mechanism for indexing; users can index raw scanned data directly into it.
- That means if a raw format point cloud file is inserted by modelers into their project Revit automatically performs indexing for it.
- So, for indexing raw scanned data, users have to click Insert tab, from where they can go to Link panel and finally select Point Cloud.
- After which they have to select the raw point cloud file from the folder where it is saved.
- So when a raw point cloud file is selected by Revit users, indexer application automatically applies to it which converts it into .rcp and .rcs files.
- If in case users opt for indexing just one scan file, it results into the production of a single .rcp and .rcs file.
- On the other hand if multiple scan files are indexed by Revit users the outcome results into numerous .rcs files along with a single .rcp file.
So if the above mentioned procedure is effectively implemented by Revit users they can successfully index raw scanned data.
Tesla Outsourcing Services is an Architectural and Engineering Outsourcing Company providing CAD Services, Engineering and E-building Design Solutions (BIM Services) to clients across the globe.