Structural design is a highly elaborate and intricate process wherein a lot of activities such as structural detailing, drafting, modeling and structural analysis is performed by civil/structural engineers and BIM modelers for the creation of high-end design. For constructing a structure which can confront all kind dead load and live load, design and construction professionals have to effectively execute load calculation which can determine the load tackling ability of structural element. Dead load can be defined as the pressure imposed on the structural framework of the building from the components of different building disciplines such as architecture, structure and MEP. On the other hand Live load is nothing but the load which is confronted by the structure from external forces such as snowfall, winds and earthquake etc.
Following tips can be utilized during structural design process
- Fabrication of structural components such as columns, beams, joists and handrail etc can have huge impact on the over development of structural framework, hence it is important that steel detailing services are performed seriously.
- Since the drawings utilized during fabrication are developed during structural detailing process hence it is important these drawings are properly scrutinized by structural engineers so that structural elements can be fabricated precisely.
- When structural design is developed positioning of columns matter a lot and their positioning is subject to engineering principles.
- For example the ideal position of structural column is at the corner of the facility.
- Accurate positions are selected for structural columns for the reduction of bending moments in structural beams.
- Design and construction professionals must be conscious about avoiding larger spans of structural beams.
- There should always be minimum center to center space between columns.
- Structural beams must be placed under an area which consists of heavy load such as under walls.
- That means positioning of structural beams is also governed by structural engineering principles.
- Last but not least all the load resisting structural elements must be positioned appropriately within the structural framework so that they can easily withstand and transmit loads.
Divya Dave is a Senior Manager with Tesla Outsourcing Services. An engineer and management graduate, she has been working with the outsourcing industry now for more than a decade. With a passion for writing, she writes on topics that provide an insight into CAD, BIM, and 3D Visualization services for the Architectural, Structural, and MEP disciplines. Her focus is to enable architects and engineering professionals in the AEC industry to adopt the right technology so as to increase their efficiency and profitability.