Virtual Design Construction or Building Information Modeling is such an innovative technology that dominates the landscapes of Architectural Engineering and Construction industry since evolution. The principal rational behind BIM’s dominance over AEC industry is its potential and competence to produce desirable outcome which largely matches to owners expectations.
One of the prime reasons for implementing BIM on construction projects is to meet owner’s expectations in terms of project delivery within stringent budget and tight deadlines.
Reasons behind implementing BIM on construction projects
- BIM facilitates the collaboration of all the crucial building stakeholders along with design development teams of different building disciplines which eventually provides prudent and desirable project outcomes.
- In other words a collaborative project execution approach is facilitated by BIM from its inception till its completion which incorporates all potential project partners such as owners, clients, architects, engineers and contractors. This motivates all building stakeholders to work enthusiastically towards the fulfillmentof set goal.
- BIM technology facilitates the exploration of variety of design options which eventually provides extensive solutions for creating cost-effective and sustainable building design. In other words since BIM models are open to changes and modifications it ultimately results in the development of improved and cost-effective design.
- Optimized solutions are gained with the assistance of high tech BIM modeling software within stringent budget and time against set parameters.
- Substantial project predictability is ensured by BIM since 3D models facilitates improved visualizations this ultimately creates greater project awareness in terms of building design and modification required in it.
- BIM provides advanced solutions to those engineering design problems which can otherwise create hindrance and obstacles during onsite construction. This ultimately means that BIM coordination and clash detection solutions facilitate seamless and flawless onsite construction.
- BIM also encourages AEC professionals to take effective measures for the reduction of wastage of materials, resources and energy during actual construction. Material takeoffs that are generated with the assistance of BIM models are referred by construction professionals to place order for materials and equipments which helps in buying materials in appropriate quantities.
- It also persuades on time project delivery.
- BIM’s potential is not limited to project life cycle instead goes beyond that and helps building owners with sustainability optimization.