Development of family geometry is an essential part of family creation method in Revit Family Editor. Family geometry is created by BIM modelers once they complete developing family framework for a standard component family with the support of reference plane and reference lines. Reference planes are of considerable importance to modelers as they extend huge support for crating family geometry once a family’s framework is fully developed.
When a standard component family is developed by modelers, depending upon the project requirement they have to utilize both 2D and 3D geometry for creating the family. When it comes to solid geometric shapes they are generally created by design development team members for representing the elements which will be created by the family. On the other hand the reason behind using 2D geometry is to incorporate huge details to solid geometry.
Process of creating family geometry
- Constraining family geometry to the earlier developed parametric family framework remains the major step in this case.
- As modelers add geometry to the family in question they must not forget to constraint the sketches of the geometry to reference planes which are ultimately accountable for driving parametric relationships.
- For constraining sketches of geometry, Revit users are required to make use of Align tool so that they can successfully select pertinent reference plane as well as sketch line for applying constraint.
- After establishing constraint, Revit users are required to add dimensions for the family. What actually happens is Revit automatically defines dimensions for the family as modelers start creating geometry. For displaying these automatic dimensions users are required to switch on their visibility.
- This step should be followed by adding geometry to subcategories.
- Once family geometry is defined for subcategories, Revit users are required to set visibility settings for the geometry.
- For doing so Revit users have to make modifications in visibility settings so that the visibility of family geometry can be governed by them. Depending upon where they want the family geometry to display modifications can be made on visibility settings.
- After this the family geometry should be tested by users which complete our process.